H.I.V. Status Discrimination. . Bad Obstetric History. . Elective Caesarean Section

May 1st

Didn't go to work today. Sorry, I ought to have said "yesterday". It's gone past mid-night already.

April 30th

Me, big-hearted? I'd rather believe I was only doing my job, Shamsa, in empathising with the patient's plight. I assume we both are refering to the H.I.V. patient who eventually got the job. Our labroratory had confirmed same status. This was then conveyed by the hospital to the company, after the young lady and I had decided she would rest all hope upon the outcome of her meeting with a certain member of the company's PR team whom she had earlier on planned to see, thus relying entirely on his sense of fairness.

Her hopes had not been dashed, so she had informed me via SMS, days after. I was glad for her.

Today, I have circumcisions aplenty.

. . And, 3 lollipops popped!

April 29th

As I walked away from the Staff nurse I had gone to fetch in the female ward for yet another Caesarean Section, a pretty but sullen-faced patient on the far bed to my right, beckoned on me. She began to remind me of time past when she needed my help to enable her scale past a Pre-employment medical assessment, while at the same time being H.I.V. positive.

I responded to her greeting as I recalled that past event, while noticing how tired and strained her eyes seemed. Dr Larry had admitted her earlier in the day for Malaria, she said.
She then attempted to thank me again for the other time. As I left her side, I remembered she eventually got the job.

It's a sad thing how in this part of the world, individuals seeking employment are discriminated against by virtue of their HIV status. They usually don't get considered for employment. Of course this is against internationally acceptable standards, so much so that their rights' get readily violated when HIV screening is carried out without their knowledge and hence, without their express consent.

To this effect, coniving hospitals such as the one I work in, share equal guilt!

Caesarean Section was later done successfully. Indication: Precious Baby. This in Obstetrics, refers to the situation whereby a woman has had in the past, a particularly bad obstetric history, with no baby alive till date. A Caesarean section then offers the most viable and risk-free mode of delivery that ensures the safety of the much desired baby.

April 28th

I had a bit of a flood of out-patients today. Absolutely nothing of interest happened.

Except that I refused to do a circumcision on account of the fact that the larger-sized device that had gone missing(stolen by one of the staff, to be sure!), is yet to be replaced, and I refused to "manage" and make do with the crude, "guillotine" method. The smaller-sized device wouldn't fit around this neonates weighty penis.

My protest bore results. A replacement is to be made available, Wednesday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sudden Unconsciousness - No Head Scans Available

Vanishing Testes... Uterine Evacuation

Cancer, Right Breast