Intravenous Line For A Week-Old Neonate

The child had a very high fever by the time I was examining it in the consulting room late in the afternoon. The parents had arrived with the neonate in the dad's arms - they both behaved calmly; I must commend them. For, the child was certainly irritable - wailing and squirming all over the place.

It was a case of Neonatal Sepsis, likely from an infected umbilical cord and I promptly entered the treatment plan then shortly after settled down to secure an intravenous line through which the needed intravenous antibiotics would be administered.

Both parents milled around me attentively as I sat by the child lying on the bed. I seized its tiny limb in my grip - tourniquet in place - in search of any visible, distended veins; the intravenous cannula and other utensils within reach. I was appreciative of the calm and quiet attitude I received from the young couple; their one-week old child crying ceaselessly. I got lucky on the first attempt.

Hopefully, a couple of days admission or so, would see the neonate off home to continue antibiotic syrups for sure.

Comments

  1. wow! i'm a new blogger. how can you make like multiple pages in a blog? i've been trying to figure it out but i can't seem to find any answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I presume you use blogspot.com. Relax, and just feel your way around. I guarantee you'll get used to it very soon. However, here's how to open new pages: From the home page, hit the "design" tab. Next, hit the "posting" tab. You'll then see the tab: "new page". Have fun...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something... Anything!... I'll shout right back at you inside 24 hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Sudden Unconsciousness - No Head Scans Available

Vanishing Testes... Uterine Evacuation

Cancer, Right Breast